Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Hi all!

Just wanted to post a quick blog to keep everyone updated on the happenings of my life as I approach the end of my wonderful experience in Copenhagen.

While I could just say that my life has been harbor, eat, sleep, repeat (with class in there a few times) since my last blog, there are some things I would like to say about my days.

I'll start with Monday-- On Monday, a friend and I biked through a nature reservation which was absolutely BEAUTIFUL. He had already been there once on his own and told me about it, so I told him to take me when he had time (he has furniture design--they actually have a lot of work to do) so we decided to do it Monday afternoon. The bike ride starts off towards the harbor, but then once you get to the harbor, you turn left and go all the way to a dead end when you hit a dirt road (at first I thought he was lost and I told him this looked like the kind of place they find dead bodies in CSI Miami) but once we finally hit the trail, I was in awe. We were totally out of the city, riding with glorious Danish country side (slightly resembles Indiana, except no corn) and vast ocean on the other side (usually we are on harbor side or can see Sweden when we are on the water). It was about a 40 minute ride to the little dock where we swam (and also against the wind--needless to say I was expecting to wake up with a butt like BeyoncĂ©'s the next day). We went the other way on the way back, where there was no ocean (or wind) but more country side and horses (just like home) and some really great architecture. It was fun, and I am hoping to take my friends tomorrow because its definitely a side of Copenhagen we don't get to see.

Tuesday, I woke up and went shopping with Morgan and Rachel. Morgan had found this adorable thrift shop that she wanted to get shorts from (it was a little pricey for me, considering it was used clothing from the 90s, but adorable nonetheless) and we walked down the walking street afterwards. I wasn't expecting to buy anything, but I found this beautiful maxi dress that was half off because of a little hole that is easily fixable. It's normally 50, but I got it for 22, and my roommate says I look like a Gwenyth Paltrow/ Kate Hudson hybrid in it. Speaking of my roommate, I have been spending increasingly more time with her these past few weeks. While I loved her right away due to her Mindy Kaling like attitude, large vocabulary and small stature, she has easily become one of my favorite people on this Earth in these last few weeks. She and I are literally constantly laughing and we both have the same deep, deep love for music post 90s, pre 2008. Our absolute soul mate moment was when "There's Gotta Be More to Life" by Stacie Orrico came on my computer and she freaked out about how she loves this song, which made me freak out because I also LOVE that song, and nobody else even knows it. So basically, she is the best roommate I could have asked for and I will miss her so much. I can't imagine not ever seeing her again (which I am aware is a sad truth about most of my friends here, despite what we say now) but I will absolutely make an effort to see my little LB again (her name is Lauren Blonde--everyone calls her LB and she gave me the wonderful nickname "Queen Bee" which my whole floor calls me-- I don't hate it). Anyways, after shopping, I went to the harbor for a few hours, worked on homework (I know, you guys probably didn't think I was really going to school here) then went to my friend Ian's kollegium down the street and hung out on the roof for an hour or so.

Today, I had class in the morning where I was actually semi functional for once, so I got a lot of work done in between my watching old Destiny's Child music videos on YouTube. After class today, my class (of 10 people...although only 7 of us went plus the teacher) biked to a very fancy furniture store on the outskirts of Copenhagen called Pautisian. I also found my dream couch (it was pink).

I was also biking so fast today that I am not sure if my legs were attached to my body. I was literally passing Copenhagen bikers super speedily, which basically means I was biking at Olympic speed because Copenhagen bikers are insane. I often compare the beginning of my biking experience here to the scene in Lion King where Simba is nearly getting stampeded to death by the herd of wildabeasts if that gives any indication of what its like here. Even Frederik, a Copenhagen native, always says biking during rush hour has always looked terrifying to him.

Anyways, after the furniture store, I biked to the harbor to meet my friends. If you're my friend on Facebook or follow me on Instagram, you probably already saw that I jumped off a 7 meter high bridge today, which was AWESOME! I chickened out a bit at first, but when a group of 10 year old boys rushed past me and just jumped off, I figured I have nothing to lose :) I ended up doing it twice, and will probably do it again at least once before I leave.

After the harbor, I met up with LB to go shopping where I got some new shoes and a new shirt (I am going a little crazy now that my time is almost done here) and we made some delicious BLT sandwiches. I also showered, which I don't know if I have mentioned previously, but our shower always floods our entire bathroom and usually into our bedroom since it's just a flat shower with the bathroom surface but in this past week or so, our shower hasn't been flooding so clearly God must have bestowed some great blessing upon us. Thank you, Lord! It's nice to shower without having to spend a half hour post shower squeegeeing my entire bedroom.

Anyways, that is all for now. Can't believe it's almost time to come home! I could certainly spend some extra time here, but I am looking forward to seeing all my friends and family and returning to the greatest place on Earth that is Purdue University.

Until next time, bloggers!

XO, Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment