Sunday, July 20, 2014

Hi readers! So before you start reading, you should know that this is going to be a very long post because these past few days have been absolutely wonderful and I have a lot to say about them.

I posted last Monday, but I will just skip straight to Wednesday because I don't think I did anything too significant Tuesday (all I did was go to class and ride my bike around I am pretty sure).

Wednesday started out like every other Wednesday, with me having class from 8-12. During class, we built boxes out of matte board and tape and for anyone who knows me, they know that hell for me is literally a place where I have to measure and cut things all day. After that incredibly stressful class (my box actually turned out quite lovely), my friend Tyler invited me to his house (his architecture class shares a studio with my graphic design class) to eat fajitas with him (he lives in the really nice housing close to the school) so I was like YOLO free food, so we ate his delicious fajitas and I convinced him to watch the pilot episode of Dawson's Creek with me. When his roommate got home, we decided we should hang out and drink later that night since we don't have class Thursday. I was hesitant to do so because my friend Karla and her friend Morgan would be arriving Thursday morning, but I am soo glad I did. We started out playing drinking games in their courtyard but then slowly decided to migrate to a karaoke bar down the street WHICH WAS SO FUN AND I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO IT!!!! Another thing most people who know me well know is that I love karaoke even though I am the worst singer ever (I usually can't hear myself singing over the music) and I have two karaoke machines in my apartment at school and like to create my own mix CDs to sing along with on my karaoke machines. Among my favorite artists to sing along to is JoJo, because she is sassy and wonderful and all of her songs are awesome. My friends here all told me not to get my hopes up to sing JoJo at this karaoke bar because they figured they wouldn't have JoJo at a Danish karaoke bar but they did!! The karaoke song list was quite extensive and really good, and I sang a few JoJo songs, All You Wanted by Michelle Branch, Colors of The Wind from Pocahontas, Party In The USA by Miley Cyrus (because 'Murica), You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift and some of the other people a the bar whom I didn't know had me join them in singing Royals by Lorde, My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion and Rolling In The Deep by Adele. So basically, it was the best time ever and I really hope we get to go back at least one more time. Even on a Wednesday night, the Danes still seem to go out way later than Americans. We got to the karaoke bar at 1 but it got super busy at like 3 which was a little strange for a Wednesday night. We ended up getting home realllly late that night, but I still managed to wake up the next morning to pick up Karla and her friend Morgan.

Frederik picked me up Thursday morning at my housing and we walked into the airport at the exact same time that Karla and Morgan walked out of baggage claim which was perfect. For anyone who doesn't remember, Frederik was Karla's exchange student in 2010-2011. Afterwards, we dropped their stuff off at my housing and went to the beach. It was Frederik's first time at Amager Strand. He was getting a little mad that I was showing him around his own city :) We spent the day at the beach and ate lunch there until about 4. After that, we decided to show Karla and Morgan around Christiania. Christiania is basically a hippie commune in the middle(ish) of Copenhagen that has declared independence from the EU and while they're most known for their weed, or as Danes call it, "hash", they have a lot of cool graffiti and a cute cafes and little jewelry tables and it's definitely a very unique place worth going to you if any of you venture into Copenhagen ever. After Christiania, Frederik drove us back to his house (definitely a slightly terrifying experience) for dinner which was delicious as expected. I am not even really sure what it was that I ate, but I do know that it was delicious and felt like Thanksgiving. I will definitely miss spending time with Frederik and his family when I leave Copenhagen. Frederik really wanted to go out that night, so we did even though I was supposed to have class the next day. I took him to a bar we usually pregame at because its cheap (he always makes fun of all the bars I tell him that I go to) then we met up with some of my friends and he took us all to his favorite bar. His bar street was actually much better than the area we usually go to bars in, so I guess all of his teasing makes sense now. It was a very fun night of bar hopping, that's for sure. It is funny to think that a year ago, I didn't even know Karla and then I was hanging out with her and her exchange student at a bar in Copenhagen. Afterwards, Frederik took Morgan and Karla back to his house in a taxi and I went back to my apartment with some of my friends.

I did not make it to class on Friday, but I never really planned to because how often do you get to go out with one of your best friends in a European city?  Karla, Morgan and Frederik met me Friday morning so that we could go rent Karla and Morgan bikes for their brief stay in Copenhagen. However, Morgan was sick (we don't think it was a hangover--may have been a travel bug) and had to carry a bag of her vomit around the city. After we picked up the bikes, we took Morgan back to apartment so that she could rest and Karla, Frederik and I went to the harbor to lay out and nap for awhile (Frederik had never been there either--once again, he was a little disappointed that I know the city better than him so basically I am a Dane). After a few hours of soaking up the sunshine that has been quite abundant lately here in Copenhagen, we went back to see if Morgan was still up for Tivoli and she was! So we went to Tivoli, which is an amusement park right in the center of downtown Copenhagen. It is filled with a lot of beautiful gardens and lighting. The roller coasters are not like the ones you'd see in a place like Cedar Point or Kings Island, but was more of a hybrid of like the Elkhart County fair meets Disney World. Actually, Tivoli was one of the biggest inspirations for Walt Disney in creating Disney World (~*FuN FaCt*~). Even though Morgan was done puking for the day, I unfortunately was not. I have had motion sickness my whole life and usually have to sleep for entire car rides when I am not driving or in the front seat, so I usually try to avoid crazy rides at amusement parks. I definitely do better on hills and drops then upside downs and twisty things. Even though I know my limits, I decided to try and defy them by riding a ride that made me nauseous just looking at it. Basically, it spins you around the base of the ride while simultaneously spinning around around upside down in your individual cart. However, that was not the ride that I puked on. I  just never quite recovered from it. I then went on their most "American" roller coaster as Frederik called it called the Demonnen (Demon) that was all fine and dandy until the upside down loop part even though it was quick. After that, I was still feeling a little off so I sat out the next ride. After that, we went on this ride that is similar to a giant swing that looked fun so I decided to try it. It was a roller coaster where you face eachother, 4 seats facing 4 seats. Frederik and I sat on one side (we had been roller coaster partners all day) while the 4 girls (Morgan, Rachel, Karla and Karla's friend Morgan) sat facing us.  As soon as the ride had its first big drop, I knew it wasn't going to end well. I could feel it coming up for the entire ride as all the girls watched my face getting sicker. Poor Frederik was enjoying the ride until he noticed all the mortified faces of the girls staring back at us, waiting for me to blow, which is when he started trying to be motivational and telling me to hold it in because the ride was almost finished. Eventually, I couldn't hold it in my mouth any longer and ended up puking all over the ride and Frederik's leg. However, after skipping just one more ride, I toughed up and decided I had to try to power tower and the swings, which go up really high and give you spectacular views of the city so it was worth it. We also went on a little ride about Hans Christian Andersen, which was tame and also inside so it was warm. I also told Frederik about how when I notice people are taking pictures and I will inevitably be in the background, I always smile. At first he thought it was weird, but I caught him doing it later on for a picture :) After a day full of puking, we decided we should probably have a calm night so we just hung out on the roof of the kollegium for the night until it was bedtime. Frederik's girlfriend, Emma, joined us after Tivoli so that she could meet Karla before she left for Berlin, so it was nice to see her one last time in Copenhagen.

Saturday morning, we woke up and went to opposite side of the harbor that we usually go to. Karla jumped off and we laid out for awhile until it was time to return Karla and Morgan's bikes. We then went back to Christiania so that Karla could buy some jewelry for her sister. It was my friend, Nick's, 21st birthday that night so we went home and got ready to go out with him. Frederik met us there and we drank at their house until we decided to go to a few bars around the school. We then went out to where the "cool" bars are that Frederik had showed us previously, but he couldn't get into the bar of choice because you had to be 20 (he will be 20 in like 2 months) so he and I ended up sitting on some stairs and eating pizza for like an hour until we decided to go home. I also had blisters on my heels from borrowing my roommate's shoes so we got bandaids (actually they were bandaids for cold sores but I just needed something to cover it) at a nearby 7/11. Karla and Morgan had already gone home earlier in the night because their train left at 9:45 this morning, so we decided to skip the last bar of the night even though Frederik could have gotten in since we wanted to spend a little more time with them.

This morning, I woke up and had a roomie date with the best roomie I could have asked for during my time here in Copenhagen. We went to Christiania where I had the most amazing chicken sandwich ever (seriously, the food selection in Christiania is on point) and a brownie (not a pot brownie) and two glasses of Coca Cola and sat there for an hour or so until she went to the studio and I went to the harbor to meet Rachel and Morgan. I was there until 5, and now I am watching my roomie cook a traditional Cuban dinner for basically our entire floor. I also made Sangria for this event, because, you know, Sunday.

So there you have it, there was my blog about some of the best days in Copenhagen that I have had so far!! Can't wait to see what my last 12 days (commence depression induced nausea) have in store for me in this beautiful city with a fantastic group of people!!

Ta ta for now, bloggers!

Bri

No comments:

Post a Comment